International Students

International Students & Co-op
In addition to the standard process for co-op participation at Georgia State University, international students in F1 visa status must complete an additional immigration process in order to be legally allowed to work at the co-op location. Immigration regulations allow F1 visa students to work off campus at a position related to their major field of study through Curricular Practical Training (CPT). CPT is authorized by advisors in International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) at Georgia State University, and must be approved before the student starts working at the co-op location.

Note that F1 students will need to get two CPT authorizations for a 6-month co-op experience, one for each semester they will be working (summer/fall, or spring/maymester).

Eligibility for Co-op CPT Authorization

  • Must have been enrolled full-time for at least one academic year prior to authorization date.
  • Must be in valid F1 status.
  • Must be in good standing with the university.
  • Must have completed an Employment Workshop (either on-line or in person) with ISSS.

How to Apply for CPT

  1. Get a job offer letter from the employer.
  2. Register for the appropriate co-op audit course.
  3. Fill out the CPT Form (fillable PDF) from ISSS.
  4. Submit the CPT form with a copy of your employment letter at the ISSS front desk.

You can apply for CPT as soon as you have (1) completed an employment workshop, (2) completed the CPT application, (3) have received an employment letter and (4) are registered for the co-op course. Students should apply for CPT authorization for co-op in the semester before the co-op is to start, as soon as they receive the job offer. The latest that CPT for co-op will be approved is the start of the semester in which the work will happen.

To access the forms, workshop information and additional details related to CPT, please refer to the International Student & Scholar Services website.

Please call 404-413-2070, email [email protected] or stop by the ISSS office at 252 Sparks Hall with any questions or concerns you may have about the CPT process for F1 co-op students.